A new Edition of IPL is starting from 23 March and it is an ambient time to address the elephant in the room, actually a mammoth with 3 IPL trophies and played almost every final since the beginning of Indian Premier League. Yes, I am addressing Chennai Super Kings, a team which has proved its mettle time and time again and is the most loved team across all country, “Whistle Podu” the official fan club of the club got an award for the best fan club by Indian sports honours awards which were held last year. This team has made to the playoffs every year except 2016,2017 as the team is out of competition due to suspension regarding fixing charges applied by BCCI and they played 8 final out of eleven and winning three of them, they didn’t play in the 2009 edition and suspension years.
Chennai Super Kings has been a silent member in the auction hall during the all team auction held every year, this season they retained almost every player and kept the same team as they went within the previous edition making only two new additions with Mohit Sharma(bowler-5Cr) and Ruturaj Gaikwad(batsmen-20L).
Chennai Super Kings has been the member of the IPL since it’s inception and been a prominent member as well. Mahendra Singh Dhoni a.k.a Thala(leader, conqueror) has always been its captain and played a vital role in the success of this team. CSK has been the most consistent and successful team in the IPL. CSK has played more finals than any other team in the competition and made to the playoffs every season, they have played 8 finals in 11 IPLs winning on three occasions 2010,2011,2018.
During the IPL8 2015, some unfortunate things might have taken place due to which CSK have to face suspension of 2 years from BCCI.
1. MSD-the name says it all, he is the biggest strength of the group along with other
experienced players. He has a special connection with this group, we saw last season how
he got rejuvenated while wearing the yellow jersey once again.
2. All-rounders– the number of all-rounders plays in this team whether it DJ Bravo, Kedar
Jadhav, Suresh Raina, Shane Watson, Ravindra Jadeja made them very flexible in the team
and give MS Dhoni to experiment much more in the gameplay.
3. Experience– they recently bought Mohit Sharma to bring experience in their bowling as
1. Fielding– The main concern for the Chennai super kings will be their fielding. Kedar
Jadhav, Imran Tahir and Ambati Rayudu are not the quickest in the field.
2. Form– most of their player are out of touch or we can say that they are out of form,
Bravo, Raina, Watson and Rayudu have not played in the national team from quite
some time and those who play are very ineffective in their respective positions that’s
why it will be a concern for Dhoni.
As Long as Dhoni is the skipper of the yellows they can achieve anything which he proved
in the last season. The sheer amount of passion of the player to prove the world that they
still have it in them is amazing and they will play cricket with all their strength as this
might be their last season as a player in IPL.
The injury-prone players are the main threat to the team as many players are in their
wrong side of the ’30s and most of the players except Dhoni and Raina are prone to injury
and it will become a challenge for Dhoni if they get injured.
1. MS Dhoni– Every time we say that we have seen the best of him he always proved us wrong and surprised us, no player in the world cricket who is in his late 30’s have shown this kind of temperament towards the game. This season will be important for him as it will be the last season that he plays with this lineup.
2. Suresh Raina– Record Holder of most runs scored in IPL and tag bearer of the best T20 batsmen, Suresh Raina will be the player to watch out for. Chances of Raina in the world cup team are close to negligible unless some miracles happen for him but there are high chances of him to be selected for 2020 T20 World cup for which he will put all his strength into this edition’s IPL.
3. Ravindra Jadeja– He is an amazing fielder, clever bowler and powerful hitter of the bowl. The chances of him being selected in the world cup team are 50-50 and he will try to make it to the World Cup squad by performing in the IPL, which makes him the key player to watch out for.
What to Expect
Chennai Super Kings always came into the competition with a load of high hopes of their huge fan base which have truly made this team what it is today. This team might be short of young talent but it is full of experience and they proved that it can win them trophies in the last season and nothing less should be excepted from this season of IPL as well.
MS Dhoni (C) (WK), Ravindra Jadeja, Suresh Raina, Kedar Jadhav, Dwayne Bravo, Karn Sharma, Shane Watson, Shardul Thakur, Ambati Rayudu, Murali Vijay, Harbhajan Singh, Faf Du Plessis, Sam Billings (WK), Imran Tahir, Deepak Chahar, Lungisani Ngidi, Asif KM, N Jagadeesan, Monu Singh, Dhruv Shorey, Chaitanya Bishnoi, David Willey, Mitchell Santner, Mohit Sharma, Ruturaj Gaikwad.
Probable starting Playing XI
Shane Watson, A Rayudu, Kedar Jadhav, MS Dhoni(c,wk), Suresh Raina, Ravindra Jadeja, DJ Bravo, Santner, Deepak Chahar, Ngidi, Shardul Thakur
M.A Chidambaram, Chennai
With a leader like MS Dhoni on their side, I think anything is possible. CSK play their first game against Virat Kohli’s RCB on 23rd March in the M.A Chidambaram stadium.